A theory about g6pd and wellness

Glucose-6-Phosphate-Dehydrogenase Deficiency (G-6-PD) is a genetic deficiency that causes red blood cells to hemolyze in the presence of certain drugs or chemicals, infections or other stressors. Statistically determined to affect more than four hundred million people globally, mostly people of African and Middle Eastern descent. When triggered, symptoms include fever, dark colored urine, abdominal and back pain, fatigue, and pale skin. It has been linked with maleria, and various organ failures including kidney failure. It can easily be confused with hard to isolate auto immune diseases such as ahus.
majestik
Site Admin
Mood:

A theory about g6pd and wellness

Unread post by majestik » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:44 am

I have been observing a cycle of wellness based on the average age of my red blood cells. G6PD activity is likely variable based on the age of red blood cell. G6PD proteins are also known as energy related proteins and thus low G6PD levels should correlate with low energy, low blood pressure and fatigue. This will correlate with older red blood cells than with younger ones. The age of red blood cells in the body will form a moving bell shape. New red blood cells are always being created while older ones keep dying. Also, G6PD levels varies overtime, in relative concert.

My observation is based on the results of three years of blood test results, activities, diets and wellness. By wellness I am referring to actually feeling of being sick, being unable to perform basic activities, chronic fatigue, chronic low blood pressure when standing or not laying down and other symptoms. These symptoms also appears to track hemolytic activities.

My theory is that G6PD deficiency results in chronic hemolysis. For CKD patients on dialysis, this is also exacerbated by dialysis induced hemolysis. The existence of red blood cells does not say anything about their health. So for people on dialysis, particularly those who also have tendency for natural hemolysis like G6PD deficiency, it is essentially to continually monitor the health as well as the count of their blood composition, and to develop appropriate therapies to limit the down times.

For appropriate therapies, I am thinking of a combination of activities and dietary support (not supplements or medications). I have come to realize that certain food appears to be more digestible and cause less harm than others at certain intervals post dialysis, and also based on the current blood composition. I will continue to collect and analyze the incoming data to fine tune my theory of wellness.

Stay tuned for updates to Fodo to reflect more of my discoveries.